There is no fee to enter the church.
St Peter's is situated in the heart of the historic city of Gloucester and serves not only the immediate city centre area, but also some of the suburbs and surrounding countryside. Also as the 'Mother Church' of the area it often has had a major role in the lives of many of the Catholics in our city. Canon Liam Slattery is the Parish Priest.
The standards set by Canon Law for the Parish Priest, have been abundantly met by the priests, who over the past two centuries have had the care of the parish of St. Peter's. The City has indeed a rich heritage of churches and priories. Dominicans, Franciscans and Carmelites had flourishing foundations in Pre-Reformation days but the religious life of the City was dominated by the great Benedictine Abbey of St. Peter - now the Cathedral. During the troubled penal times there were martyrs for the old Faith in Gloucester and a list of these can be seen in St. Peter's Church.
Land acquired in 1790 with small church on site. Current building was erected in 1859 and was designed by Gilbert Blount in the Gothic style. The church was consecrated on the 8th October 1868. Lady Chapel with exquisitely carved Triptych. In the sanctuary are the carved figures of our Lady, St Joseph, St. Gregory, St. Augustine, St. David and St. Willstan. The Church has recently been restored to its Victorian splendour. The organ is of great historical interest, erected in 1937 by John Compien and possesses a 32 foot stop of actual pitch.
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors - There is 1 accessible space in the car park.
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
Map & Directions
From the North: Get off the M5 at Junction 11, at the roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A40 (signposted Gloucester/Cirencester). At Elmbridge Court roundabout take the 4th exit (signposted Ross). At the next roundabout take the first exit onto the A38 and then at the next roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A430 (Kingsholm Road). At the traffic lights turn left onto Black Dog Way and follow the road, until the junction of Black Dog Way and London Road, where St Peter's is situated. From the South: Get off the M5 at Junction 12, at the roundabout take the first exit onto the B4008. At the Cross Keys roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A38. At the next roundabout continue forward. At the traffic lights continue forward (stay in the left hand lane, signposted Ross) onto the A430, Secunda Way. Continue forward on this by pass until you come to a roundabout, stay in the right hand lane and take the 2nd exit (on to Hempstead Lane). At the traffic lights turn right onto St. Ann Way. Continue forward at the next 2 sets of lights and then continue forward at the cross road on to Trier Way. Continue forward on to Trier Way the next cross roads turn left into Bruton Way approach
Public Transport Directions
St Peter's is approximately a 10 minute walk from the Bus and Train Station. Turn right out of the Train Station on to Bruton Way and left on to Bruton Way from the Bus Station. At the traffic lights that mark the top on London Road, St Peter's is situated directly in the corner on the left hand side if you were to turn right on the road and walk down it.
|St Peter's Church (1 Jan 2017 - 1 Dec 2017)|
* Please check the website or call 01452 523603 for opening times prior to your visit as the times vary each week. Opening hours are dependent on the time of Mass. This is posted on the website on a weekly basis.
The Parish Office is open Tuesday to Friday between 9.30 and 1.30.