When open the church is free to enter.
St. Mary de Crypt is a fine late 15th Century Church situated in the centre of Gloucester. Although built upon the site of an earlier Norman Church, the only remaining features of that building are some arches in the blocked up part of the Crypt.
Adjacent to the Church is one of the few remaining Tudor Schoolrooms in the Country. It was opened in 1539 and was the first free Grammar School in the City, operating on this site for 320 years. The Church is famous for George Whitfield a great 18th Century Evangelist. He was baptised in the Church and preached his first sermon in the Pulpit there, with such dynamism that it is recorded that people were almost ‘driven to madness!’ George is credited with taking Methodism to America which eventually spread worldwide.
Another famous Son was Robert Raikes. He was born in 1736, was baptised in the Church and educated in the Crypt School. He later inherited the Glos Journal, and through this medium became instrumental in the spread of the Sunday School movement that spread throughout the world.
The Church Bell Tower houses eight fine bells produced by the famous Rudhall family. The first six were installed in 1710 and the last two, some forty years later.
There are two medieval wall paintings in the Chancel, one is in quite poor condition, but the other depicts the Adoration of the Magi. The Church boasts a fine Memorial by Peter Scheemacher who was responsible for eleven of the Sculptures in Westminster Abbey.
Tours of the Church, the Crypt and the Ringing Chamber are possible, subject to availability, thoroughout April to September. The tour will last approximately 50 minutes. Tickets for the Tour are priced at £3 for adults and £2 for children, with groups of over 20 people being charged just £20.00. All monies go towards the restoration of the church.
For more information and to book a tour contact Eve Stewart Kelso on 01452 534028.
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access - Level access via Southgate Street
Map & Directions
From the North: Get off the M5 at Junction 11, at the roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A40 (signposted Gloucester/Cirencester). At Elmbridge Court roundabout take the 4th exit (signposted Ross). At the next roundabout take the first exit onto the A38 and then at the next roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A417 (St. Oswald's Road). At the next roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A417. Keep left around Westgate Island and take the first left into Westgate Street. Follow the road around into Upper Quay Street and then turn left into Bearland. Follow the road into Longsmith Street and turn left into the car park. This is a pay on foot car park and is the closest place you can park to St. Mary de Crypt Church. Come out of the car park and turn right onto Longsmith Street. At the end of Longsmith Street turn right into Southgate Street. St. Mary de Crypt Church is just on the left. From the South: Get off the M5 at Junction 12, at the roundabout take the first exit onto the B4008. At the Cross Keys Roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A38. At the next rounabout continue forward. At the traffic lights continue forward (stay in the left hand lane, signposted Ross) onto the A430, Secunda Way. Continue forward on this by pass until you come to a roundabout, stay in the right hand lane and take the 2nd exit (on to Hempstead Lane). Turn right into St. Ann Way and continue forward at the next 2 sets of lights. At the major cross road turn left into Southgate Street. Follow Southgate Street and continue on to Commercial Road. Take the 2nd right into Longsmith Street and then turn left into the car park. This is a pay on foot car park and is the closest place you can park to St. Mary de Crypt Church. Come out of the car park and turn right onto Longsmith Street. At the end of Longsmith Street turn right into Southgate Street. St. Mary de Crypt Church is just on the left.
Public Transport Directions
Short stroll from Gloucester Train and Bus Station. Come out of the Train Station and cross Bruton Way into the Bus Station. Walk through the Bus Station and out onto Station Road. Continue forward into Clarence Street. At the end of Clarence Street turn right into Eastgate Street. At the end of Eastgate Street you will come to 'the cross' which joins the four main gate streets. Turn left into Southgate Street and continue forward until you see St. Mary de Crypt Church on the left.
|Opening (4 Apr 2017 - 30 Sept 2017)|
* A simple half-hour service of prayers, readings, music and silence, 'Sacred Space' is a chance to escape from the hustle and bustle of busy city life. This takes place on the first Friday of each month at 13.00. The service lasts for about half an hour.
St Mary de Crypt Church is open during summer months on Monday to Saturday from 12.00 - 14.00, when it is staffed by the Gloucester Civic Trust to enable visitors to encounter this architectural and historical gem.