The garden is free to enter at all times of the year.
Hillfield Gardens was originally developed as the grounds of the elaborate Victorian Hillfield House built around 1867-9, replacing an earlier house from 1826 (known as Woodbine Hill). The house now belongs to Gloucestershire County Council. The garden contains three mature Redwood trees, a champion oak and some of the oldest trees in Gloucester. The park was opened to the public around 1933 and is home to three monuments of historical significance: Scriven's Conduit, the King's Board and the chancel of the 12th century leper chapel of St May Magdalene. The remnants of a Roman road have been unearthed during a recent archaeological dig.
The Friends of Hillfield Gardens group was formed in 2005, and working with the City Council and local organisations, they have spearheaded the recent improvements to the gardens, which have led to increased public use. In addition to this musical events are held in the gardens every year as part of the Summer in Gloucester festivities.
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Open all year
Map & Directions
From central Gloucester take Northgate Street and London Road. Coming up London Road, the garden's entrance will be to the left.
Public Transport Directions
London Road is on the route of Stagecoach bus services 10 and 94.
|Hillfield Gardens (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* Hillfield Gardens are free to access and can be accesed at any time throughout the year.
Hillfield House is a private building which is only open to the public during Heritage Open Days. This usually falls in September. Please contact Gloucester Tourist Information Centre for more information on +44 (0)1452 396572