Tel: +44 (0)370 333 1181
The grounds of the Greyfriars are free for the public to enjoy.
The Franciscan house of Greyfriars was founded in 1231 on land granted to the church by Lord Berkeley. It was one of three Gloucester monasteries supported by Henry III.
By 1285 the priory was home to the forty begging friars - religious men who had all taken vows of poverty, chastity and obedience - that were locked into a series of disputes with the monks of St Peter's. This culminated in a quarrel over their shared water supply in the 14th century which had to be settled by Edward the Black Prince. The Franciscans won.
In 1518 the church was rebuilt in its present form, again with the help of the Berkeley family. The priory's layout is of particular architectural interest due to the fact its nave and north aisle are of almost equal height and width, the only example of this in this country.
The remains of the priory can still be seen in Gloucester city centre today.
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
Map & Directions
From the North: Get off the M5 at Junction 11, at the roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A40 (signposted Gloucester/Cirencester). At Elmbridge Court roundabout take the 4th exit (signposted Ross). At the next roundabout take the first exit onto the A38 and then at the next roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A417 (St. Oswalds Road). At the next roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A417. Keep left around Westgate Island and take the first left into Westgate Street. Follow the road around into Upper Quay Street and then turn left into Bearland. Follow the road into Longsmith Street and turn left into the car park. This is a pay on foot car park and is the closest place you can park to the remains of Greyfriars Priory. Come out of the car park and turn left onto Longsmith Street. At the end of Longsmith Street turn right into Southgate Street. Walk past St. Mary de Crypt Church which is just on the left and turn into Greyfriars. The remains of Greyfriars Priory are 150 metres on the left hand side.
From the South: Get off the M5 at Junction 12, at the roundabout take the first exit onto the B4008. At the Cross Keys Roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A38. At the next rounabout continue forward. At the traffic lights continue forward (stay in the left hand lane, signposted Ross) onto the A430, Secunda Way. Continue forward on this by pass until you come to a roundabout, stay in the right hand lane and take the 2nd exit (on to Hempstead Lane). Turn right into St. Ann Way and continue forward at the next 2 sets of lights. At the major cross road turn left into Southgate Street. Follow Southgate Street and continue on to Commercial Road. Take the 2nd right into Longsmith Street and then turn left into the car park. This is a pay on foot car park and is the closest place you can park to the remains of Greyfriars Priory. Come out of the car park and turn left onto Longsmith Street. At the end of Longsmith Street turn right into Southgate Street. Walk past St. Mary de Crypt Church which is just on the left and turn into Greyfriars. The remains of Greyfriars Priory are 150 metres on the left hand side.
Public Transport Directions
Greyfriars is a short walk from the Bus and Train Station. From the Train Station cross Bruton Way and walk into the Bus Station. Walk through the archway onto Station Road. Cross Station Road and walk into Clarence Street. At the end of Clarence Street continue forward onto Brunswick Road. Walk past the City Museum and Library on your right and then turn into Greyfriars. The remains of the Priory are located 300 metres down on the right.
|Greyfriars priory (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* Due to investigations into falling masonry, the site is currently fenced off and inaccessible to prevent injury to visitors. Visitors can still gain access around the outside of the site but not actually into the priory itself.